Calling all Immersive TYA artists! Do you have an immersive TYA theatre experience that is in the early-to-mid stage of development? Would you like an opportunity to workshop your project and present your idea/concept to the broader TYA community?
Write Now is accepting applications from artists/teams for immersive theatre projects for young audiences ages 2-15. We are seeking projects that have a clear vision and story concept but would benefit from development time and resources. This could be the seeds of an idea or a realized script -- we are interested in projects at all stages of development. Two projects will be selected to receive workshop time at Childsplay followed by a presentation of the concept/performance excerpt at the TYA/USA Festival and Conference, May 10-12, 2023.
We are open to your interpretation, but priorities for us include:
Participants interact directly with actors and environments
Participants are welcomed into a space with a clear understanding of why they are there
There is a narrative or emotional journey that participants experience individually and/or collectively
There is opportunity for participants to curate their own experiences within the space
Artists engage participants through multiple senses
The goals of the workshop are to provide time and resources for artists to develop their work and experiment with new ideas. Teams will each be assigned to a classroom, which they may “build out” as necessary within the scope of the budget. Teams will have up to 20 hours with actors for workshop/rehearsal and will have access to their rooms for an additional 20 hours of build/prep. Teams that do not include a designer will have the option of requesting a designer to support them during the week. During the week, each team will have the option of presenting a portion of their work to a group of age-appropriate young people and receiving dramaturgical feedback.
Artists will present a short (15-20 minute max) excerpt of their work to conference attendees, followed by a curated conversation with the audience. The presentation is very much intended to be “in process,” and can be a balance of experience and presentation of ideas/concepts/renderings.
- A $1,500 cash award (total per team)
- Transportation and lodging for 8 days for up to 2 team members
- Exclusive use of a classroom for the workshop week and presentation
- One local support person to help create your space
- A $1,500 supplies/shipping/tech budget (this is a build-it-yourself experience – we will not be able to provide additional outside production or technical support)
- 20 hours of rehearsal with up to 4 adult actors (team members may also serve as actors; otherwise all actors will be cast locally in cooperation with the team)
- 20 hours additional hours to build/prep your space
- Access to a group of age-appropriate young people to experience the work and provide dramaturgical feedback during the workshop week
- An opportunity to present a portion of the work as part of the TYA/USA Festival and Conference
- Registration to the TYA/USA Festival and Conference